Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Two Steps Past Crazy

I really feel like Zayd was some how trained in the art of psychological warfare. I haven't been able to get a decent night's sleep since he's been born. The funny thing is that he doesn't technically wake up much during the night, he just moans, grunts, and wails.

Being the neurotic first-time mother that I am, I: A)Now sleep with a light on; and B) Position Zayd between us rather then have him in his co-sleeper. Yes, I've already broken every rule I promised I wouldn't break, but the noises freak me out!! I was tempted to video tape him last night, but I was too delerious to actually get up and get the camera. It's to the point that I dread bedtime.


Some of Zayd's signature moves include:

1. Hollering in sleep, followed by hands up in what looks like a Holy Ghost move, followed by a loud fart and complete silence.

2. Soft, sad, moaning as if longing for his motherland or something.

3. Grunts and leg movements.

4. Strange breathing sounds.

5. A different type of moan--sounds more desperate.

6. A heart-wrenching wail.

This is all done while his eyes are closed and he is technically sleep. I feel like I spend the greater portion of my night trying to burp him to help him get through whatever it is that he seems to go through every night. It's like sleeping next to someone who is fighting in the Matrix.

Of course by about 6AM he decides to sleep soundly while the rest of us are ready to start a new day. I know I should be sleeping right now since he is sleeping, but of course I'm at that beyond-tired-I-need-to-be-up-doing-something stage. This mostly consist of sending random early morning emails that I type with one hand while holding a sleeping baby. I really don't see how my poor husband functions.

I am grateful that Zayd doesn't scream or cry. I guess if I had the heart to put him in his own room, my problem would be solved. The noises just sound so strange that I feel like I need to both be there and be able to see him. This has to be some evolutionary adaptation to ensure that he isn't left alone for too long. Okay, I am going back to bed.

Of course Zayd will sleep forever like this:


1 comment:

Saraax said...

lol Im so glad to see that motherhood is doing right by you! :)