Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Things I Said I Wouldn't Do

One of the most interesting things about motherhood is discovering just how little you know about yourself. I had this whole child rearing thing figured out---until I had a child. One of my biggest pet peeves with the baby industry was their tendency to design baby boy clothes that looked like grown men clothes. I ranted and raved about how uncomfortable a pair of jeans or khakis had to be on the delicate skin of a newborn. I vowed that if I ever had a little boy, I'd dress him exclusively in onsesies and snap-front baby footie outfits until he was at least one.

I admit that I am a sucker for the preppie look. I had many a joyful day putting Khalid blazers, polos, flat front pants, and sweaters. The only problem is that Khalid prefers to dress himself...go figure. I reluctantly agreed to stop bringing home "surprises" for him, but deep down, I sill miss the thrill of making the perfect man-fit.

Fast forward two years, and along comes Zayd. I know I said I wouldn't put him in little man outfits, but then I stepped foot into Baby Gap. The cuteness of some of their pieces got the best of me. Most days Zayd looks like this:





But, from now on, Zayd might look something like this---from time to time:





I'm going to just put it out there. Zayd is a way better mannaquin than Khalid will ever be. He doesn't complain about how things fit, or question my selections. He does get a little testy about things going over his head, but that's just a little drawback in the whole scheme of thing, Admittadely, he does also have a tendency to spit up, poo, and pee on some of his clothing items; Khalid, on the other hand, never did this. Zayd makes up for this with his pleasant personality and willingness to try new things.

I honestly think Zayd likes his man clothes. Ahen I put this outfit on, he seemes to get real serious, and even stayed propped on the couch a little longer than normal before falling over. I'm thinking maybe he can dress up for jummah. I'm also excited about Zayd's first Eid. I think he and Khalid should be twins. I haven't really figured out how to sell this idea to hubby yet, but I'm working on it.

10 comments:

KA said...

I do recall some smack-talking about miniature man clothes. But I LOVE the look on Zayd!! Good luck on the twin thing though.

Mrs. PhD Extraordinaire said...

OMG, this is sooo funny!! Zayd looks too cute in his man-clothes. At this size he will get plenty of wear!

Raha said...

OK i change my last assessment and return to Zayd looking like Nisa. I think it would be adorable for Khalid and Zayd to match but I think you should match with them too!

Anonymous said...

He's a born prepster I can see it in him now! His uncle Joseph would be proud.

Zayd's Auntie!!

Madeehah said...

All I have to say is TOO CUTE! I knew the woman who coined the term "Sexy Modest" would have her child STLYIN'.

Madeehah said...

All I have to say is "TOO CUTE!" I knew the woman who coined the term "Sexy Modest" would have her child STYLIN'!

The Dreamer said...

Don't encourage me people!!

Anonymous said...

I just wanna thank Natassia for acknowledging where Zayd get's his striking good looks.

Zayd's Auntie!

Umm Amirah said...

I think this can be categorized under: Child Abuse!!
LOL @ Chu

Saraax said...

oh my god Azizah, you are hilarious! Thank you for reminding me how much fun it can be to be a mother at times!