Monday, February 22, 2010

Comes Ease

For truly with hardship comes ease; truly with hardship comes ease.
(Surat al-Inshirah: 5-6)

Today, unlike last week, was one of those days that left me feeling extremely grateful and content. We started a new cleaning system, which has helped to break down the monotony of housework into do-able chunks for Khalid and I. Alhamdullilah.


Always the emotional cook, I made a sultry pot, if I must say so myself, of black eyed peas. Nothing fills the home with more joy than the smell of good food bubbling in anticipation of dinner. Khalid and I both realize that we LOVE beans. Not only are the cost-efficient, they are really good. I make at least one pot a week.

Zayd, you played with playdough for the longest time today. It is so god seeing your attention span increase and your imagination grow. We discussed shapes, colors, food items, and counting. Your little funny tail made me a birthday cake, complete with candle. We sang and blew the candle out together.

Zuri, you are so tough and rowdy. At the same time, you are the most emotionally sensitive being I've ever encountered. Okay, besides myself, my mother, my sister, and give or take five girlfriends. Women, even baby women, are such amazingly complicated creatures. However, in the whole scheme of things, our needs are quite simple: Food. Encouragement. Love. Validation. Kindness. Mercy. Jovialness at the correct times. It's a lot, but then again, it's just right.

You two also took a bath -- no kicking this time. We had the greatest time extending a hearty welcome to each of our animal bath buddies. We accidentally left them in Cali, and G-Dad, always so diligent, sent them to us. We all agreed that the animals seem to enjoy the Shaheed Family bathtub. We prayed Mahgrib with daddy -- having you two crawl all over us the whole time was such a good reminder. We ate a nice dinner together, and you two read and played with your daddy while I took a nice bubble bath and had some personal time.

The schedule allowed me to pack you father's lunch, lay the whole families clothes out, and have a dinner snack schedule already in place. Alhamdullilah for efficiency. Now let's pray we both stick to it-- for everyone's sake.

Allah blessed us with wonderful day. Alhamdullilah.

No comments: