Thursday, January 31, 2008

Milestones - 5 Months

Our little baby is 5 months old! Okay, he's actually 5.4 months old, or 23.4 weeks, to be exact. Where did the time go? At his last pediatrician appointment on January 15, 2008, Zayd weighed 17.4 pounds and was 26" long. Khalid and I estimated that he was about 16.5 pounds, so we were a little surprised. He has officially doubled his birth weight...plus some. He keeps me laughing every day with his antics.

Here are some of his new tricks:

-Grabbing for and grasping objects within reach.
-Rolling from front to back and back to front.
-Scooting backwards.
-Sitting up unassisted for short periods of time.
-Attempting to put every object in his mouth.
-Screaming "dth dtha dtha dtha" at the top of his lungs.
-Laughing -like real deep hard belly laughs.
-Developing preferences for different toys.
-Smiling and flirting with anyone within a 10 mile radius.
-Looking at his fingers in utter amazement.
-Whining (I love my child, but soooo annoying).


Khalid and I swear every weekend that we're going to purchase baby gates the next weekend. Since we both witnessed our child do this strange scoot-roll thing off of his baby gym, stopping maybe 3 feet later, we think that next weekend is really going to be the big day.

Zayd still loves riding around in his Ergo Baby carrier. He sucks on the straps and watches the world in blissful contentment. He still thinks the "little boy" in the mirror that he sees on a daily basis is fresh to death. He loves to scream and blow rasberries. The kid is wild!

Since I posted pictures of Zayd in his highchair, I've received a lot of inquires on whether he was eating solids yet. As much as he seems to want to, I've decided to postpone his introduction until he reaches six-months. I know that is the California hippie in me, but my local La Leche League leader has been very supportive of my decision. For now, he just uses the highchair as another play area. As of now, he is still a milk-milk baby.

We've noticed that Zayd has substantially decreased his daytime feeding. He's too busy exploring the world to focus long enough for long sessions. This has created an sharp increase in nighttime feedings. This has not been a good thing. Last night I felt like the boy was attached to my breast all night. Although I can sleep a little while he nurses, it's not th same as real sleep. I find myself yawning a lot in the morning.

No comments: