Thursday, January 24, 2008

We're Back

Okay, I officially dropped the blogging ball, but I'm going to just get back in the saddle and start up again where I left off. Zayd and I are back in Maryland with Daddy, and it feels really good to be a family again. Several people have asked me how Zayd reacted to his father after being away from him for over a month. I was snazzy enough to have my camera ready for their reunion.



Hey Pops!



Where ya been?



Look how big I am.

The first few days home were a little rocky. Zayd didn't like to be left alone for any preiod of time. By day three, he was back into the swing of things. A few days after I got back, I left him with Khalid all day for a much needed hair appointment. By the time I got back, they were, once again, the best of friends.

I had a little mini-breakdown returning to the house and really noticing for the first time just how fast my baby is growing. I went through his dressers and cleared out a good 80% of all the clothes that he'd grown out of. I'll have to admit that I got really tear eyed looking at all his little newborn onsesies and infant gowns. I will never forget that special time when he first came home.

Zayd came home and decided that he no longer had interest in a lot of the toys and gadgets that he once loved. The mobile, which previously made him hoot and holler like he was at a Michal Jackson concert or something, was no longer of interest to him. He also tried to boycott the swing, but Khalid and I nipped that in the bud. We brought out the activity tray attachment for him, and he seemed to develop a new appreciation for the soothing rocking of the baby papasan. ... we don't play that.

Khalid was amazed how sturdy and active Zayd became in such a short period of time. I warned him that the boy was now prone to trying to leap out of your arms if he saw something that he thought was interesting. I laughed really hard while Khalid tried to lasso Zayd into watching a football game, when Zayd had other plans. Khalid remarked, "He's a hand-full now!". Now maybe he realizes why I was sleep, or close to it, when he'd call late at night.

This was the first time ever that I flew into DC and didn't get that happy excited feeling I used to get when I came back into town. I mean I missed Khalid, don't get me wrong, but I really, really, really enjoyed being home with my family. I feel as if my heart is divided between two coast. I hated taking Zayd away from the plethora of people that love him, but I know that our life is here. I also miss having all of the extra hands to help us with raising this child. I just came home and immediately began to feel isolated. Okay, true, it might be a partially self imposed isolation, but I had a little bit of the I -miss-my-family funk.

How could you not miss all of this love?














1 comment:

FM said...

I guess thats how I am going to feel when I move back to DC! I already miss NY and I am still here.