Monday, November 12, 2007

Zayd's Aqeeqah




Another milestone for my little boy. Khalid and I hosted Zayd's Aqeeqah last Saturday. An aqeeqah is an Islamic tradition which involves slaughtering a lamb and feeding the community. Okay, this is kind of the short explanation, but that's pretty much what we did.

Zayd was an absolute angel. He didn't mind being passed around the room, and he didn't spit up that much on his white thobe. It was so good seeing all of our guest. I feel extremely blessed when I look at the life I've built in DC over the past four years.

Pappa Khalid said some very touching words about fatherhood, followed by a reading of Surah Luqman by his good friends Tariq and Muslimah. My father also spoke briefly. I tried to say a few words, but as usual, I got a little teary eyed. I don't know when public speaking became such a tear-fest for me-- I guess I'm just an emotional person. On the other hand, who wouldn't be emotional celebrating the birth of their first child!

The lamb was sooo good. We ordered the food from one of my favorite Moroccan restaurants of all time. The cook, Sister Khadijah, put her foot in the food. The menu consisted of: lamb. couscous, and olive lemon chicken, a peas and potato dish, a seasoned rice, and some baked chicken. I guess the food was good, because we had no leftovers.

Here are a few pictures from the event:



4 comments:

Mrs. PhD Extraordinaire said...

Welcome Zayd!! Alhamdulillah we had such a good time. Imam Saleem was talking about it the next day as well:) May Allah continue to bless your growing family!

Mrs. PhD Extraordinaire said...

btw. . Zayd really looks like he is connecting with what you are saying in that pic. ..lol!

Umm Amirah said...

ASA-- masha~ALLAH, the aqiqah was great. Food was great, company was great...and you are officially a wussy mom now. It's all good.
barakallahufiq,
Ummie A

Organica said...

Your abaya is beautiful! And I am not forgetting lil Zayd. Adorable, mashAllah!