Sunday, June 13, 2010

Zuri at 11 Months

I can already see you at 16 chastising me for not writing more post about your early development. Admittedly, going from one to two in less than two years was a bit of a doozy... the understatement of the year, but we made it. Alhamdullilah.

So, what can I tell you about your newly 11 month old self. First off, let me tell you, once again, that you were the best little surprise baby I could ever not ask for. I wanted another child so close to Zayd as I wanted a hole in my head, but truly Allah is the best of planners. You came with your sweet little angelic face and captured the heart of the entire family. Strangely I vaguely remember you not being here, because your arrival seemed like a rewind of parenting Zayd.

Here are some fun little antidotes about you:


- You cut your two bottom teeth this week.

- You are extremely verbal. Your favorite noise is "Dinosaur Scream", as we've lovingly/ not-so-lovingly named it, a shrill high-pitched battle cry . Dinosaur Scream manifest itself when someone takes an object from you, when someone won't pick you up fast enough, when someone takes a foreign object out your mouth, when Zayd pisses you off, when stranger get to close,when you are foprced to get into the carseat, and occasionally during undesired diaper changes. Dinosaur Scream is special...

- Your next favorite thing to say is "Yeah Yeah". This is used as an answer to any question that sounds remotely inter sting to you, and also is sometimes just pronounced thoughtfully while playing with toys. You also do a nice "Buhh Buhh" and a " Dahh Dahh". Did I mention your "Eii Eii".

- You have no interest in any developmentally appropriate toys if Zayd is anywhere around. You are perfectly content snatching his toys and coveting on all things power cord.

- Your most recent trick is to demand to walk alone. You'll pull your hand away from us and walk as quickly as you can in the direction of your choosing. Lucky for us you're not that fast yet, but I know that is coming sooner than later.

- You like to eat rice, beans, peas, spinach, broccoli, a little meat from time to time, and any soft fruit. You seem to still love pears.

- You love music, and I am so happy to FINALLY have a dance partner. You love to dance round the house with me, bouncing and shaking your little self on my hip.

- You wear a size 3 diapers and can techinally still wear 9 month clothes, but I put you in 12 months because you are little but kind of long.

- You are still as bald as the day is long. Everyone tells me to be patient and enjoy your wash and wear style, but I do secretly pray by two that you can have a ponytail or something -- I mean just something.

- Your eylashes are ridiculously long. The curl up and touch your eyelids.

- I can always distract you by saying , " Oh, where is Zayd"...

- You get extra excited about books with babies faces in them. I feel kind of bad about that discovery, because you've mostly just been a tag-a-long reader to anything your brother picks put. Now I'll be sure to check you out a few more books from the library.

- You are still a boob monster, bottle boycotter.

- You stink right now and you are crying to be held. So yeah. That's you in a nutshell. Now back to you.

No comments: